About this course
Rectal Diazepam is a rescue medication that is used to manage epilepsy seizures. It is administered into the rectum.
Administration of Rectal Diazepam can be easily combined with our epilepsy awareness course to provide detailed knowledge on the practical administration of this rescue medication. The course requires an additional hour of delegates time. You can also combine this course with our administration of Buccal Midazolam course.
The course covers a wide range of topics on the theory and practical applications for administering Rectal diazepam, including:
- What is diazepam?
- Uses for epilepsy and indications for use
- Appropriate dose instructions
- Practical demonstration using an anatomical model & video
- Possible difficulties or barriers to administration
- Potential side effects
- Effects of overdose and approved action to take in the event of
- Risk assessment best practice
- Support plans
- Storage and disposal instructions
- Duty of care and legal responsibilities
- Privacy and dignity
- Recognise an emergency situation and act appropriately
- Understand the theory and practice of administering rectal diazepam
- Carry out a simulated procedure under through the guidance from an experienced and qualified trainer
- Follow and act according to the individual support plan and guidelines to administer emergency medication safely and appropriately.