About this course
Gain a solid understanding of your role and responsibilities as a healthcare professional on this Medicine Management training course. Learn about the laws and guidance that dictates best practice for medicine management.
Delegates who complete this course will be able to contribute to better service user care through a comprehensive understanding of medicine management practice.
- The laws and guidance related to medicines management*
- Legal Categories of medicines
- Formats of medicines and routes of administration
- Commonly prescribed medication
- Common side effects
- Principles of administration
- Supply, Accountability and Documentation
- Safe storage and disposal of medicines
- Medication errors and risk reduction
*Nursing and Midwifery Council Standards for Medicines Management, Royal Pharmaceutical Society/NMC Medicines Optimisation, NPSA, MHRA
- Understand both your own role and responsibilities and those of other members of the team, in relation to medication administration
- Understand how medicines are prescribed, ordered, supplied, stored and administered
- Understand the laws and guidance related to medicines management
- Discuss who is accountable and who is responsible for administering medications
- Describe the actions and uses of some of the commonly prescribed medications
- Have an awareness of some of the common side effects of drugs
- Understand what constitutes a drug error and how to reduce risk
- Describe the reporting procedures for incidents relating to drug administration and prescribing errors, adverse drug reactions and side effects.
- Describe the procedures related to safe storage and disposal of medicines
- Identify information sources relating to medicine management